PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 4th Jun 2006, 14:29
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JB I haven't waded through the article yet, too many domestic tasks this weekend! I have also done some research and I have spoken at length to a leading human rights lawyer (don't all groan!). I think you are spot on, we have taken care to establish a paper trail setting out MoD decisions to cancel DAS programmes etc. I have reason to believe they are s******g themselves. I stated quite clearly to AOC 2GP that Herc crews should not have been sent to Afg without foam. Are we getting to such a state of crisis that CAS is going to have to turn round to his political masters and tell him we cannot do all this tasking? I very much doubt it, if only because they would look foolish in the process. I believed all along that this deployment to Afg was one too many and would turn out to be a very big mistake. However, it might just provide the excuse to get out of Iraq ahead of time. Experts who are still serving please correct me if you think we can sustain these 2 ops indefinitely. If the Chiefs decide to press on at the expense of fitting self-protection there is a very big risk that we lose another crew.
All of this is a failure in prioritizing safety for personnel. Unforgiveable, but something that has happened for a number of years. One thing that could be done immediately is to utilise MK3 Hercs for an upgrade useable for current ops. Shouldn't cost too much and would allow other pressing ac mods to be made.

NG

Just like to add a thought to training. Because this is a 3 year Op in my view training must have the highest priority. I am not privvy to the kind of ops that are being planned in Afg but I do know that experience levels at Lyneham have dwindled in recent years. It would be a spectacular own goal to divert training resources just now. There is no easy decision. I cannot remember a situation like this in my time in RAF. The 'Yes' men need to turn into 'NO' men. For a while at least.....

Last edited by nigegilb; 4th Jun 2006 at 14:59.