PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - how many have found a job?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2006, 12:06
BAP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there.

Well you have to get out of your chairs in order to land yourself a job.

I did a Type rating on the B737 which turned out to be a bad idea, as there were no jobs for inexperienced 737 pilots, however this is most likely to change in the near future, i think.

When I couldn’t find myself a pilots job, I started working on the ground as a Ramp Agent with DHL, which was great fun, and a very educational experience. In addition to that I found myself a job as a phone salesman for a Ariel photography company during the winter months.

I also made an arrangement with my former flight school ,who is also operating light twins to a few small islands in Denmark, to fly along as a PNF.

And after I had flown a few times, I was offered a job in the administration and as pilot on demand. With the prospect of becoming a pilot on their island hobs.

However this never happened as I just have been offered a position on the B757.
And in addition to that, the Ariel company called me the other day offering me a job as pilot on a C172…

So it is possible, if you do something about it. Sending out tons of CV is not the right way to do it. I have been down that road as well…

Let me tell you about a few of my friends...
One guy flew as fire patrol in Norway, when he wasn't at work at SAS' check-in desks in Oslo. After he had gained approx 60-70 hours on the C172, he managed to get contact with a small Swedish company, and after he had called them several times talking about nothing in particular, he was invited for an interview. Now he is flying Navajo's and Chieftain, and will most likely be flying Metro as well…

Another friend of mine managed to get contact to a small airline company in the Far East; he is now flying as F/O on an A319. Everything was paid by the company.. He started out as Dispatcher in CPH and managed to find some very useful contacts.

And another friend of mine, started out cleaning etc a BE200 King Air, now he is flying it as a F/O... All the above examples has happened recently..

However it has been difficult to move from piston or even turbo-prob job, to a jet job during the past few years, but let’s hope that this will change too.

Good luck ;o) It is not impossible...

Last edited by BAP; 4th Jun 2006 at 12:57.