PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non-standard R/T
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2006, 11:27
planeenglish

Take me downwind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Standard R/T then Plane-Plain English-leave the non standard stuff at the bar

Originally Posted by Mike Rosewhich
However I agree that in some cases RT discipline needs to be addressed and perhaps it should be part of our annual line check.
Dear Mike Rosewhich,
It may very well become part of your line check. ICAO new standards being adopted by JAA/EASA may have a way for this to be implemented in your bi-annual checks. It all depends on how each Member State interprets and implements these new standards.
Regarding use of R/T standard and not: I teach aviation personnel (ATC and Pilots, amongst other non-flying staff) in the "plain" language to be used when the Standard phraseologies do not suffice. A large majority of my time teaching non-native English speakers is spent giving listening exercises in class to help them understand what they will really hear on the radio while wa/ondering through the clouds.
These new standards are for the language that pilots and ATC must use in abnormal situations when the R/T phraseologies can not communicate needs and requirements otherwise. (For example, a lost pilot or landing gear problems.)
Studies were conducted on over 27,000 incidents and accidents. Many had communication as a factor as part of their cause. However, if we look at the actual incidents and accidents that have communication as a factor only a percentage are actually due to insufficient proficiency. Many were due to use of non-standard R/T, incorrect or no read back, etc. For ineffective communication one does not have to be low in their proficiency. Incidents and accidents have happened as a result of mis-communication between two proficient, native speakers.
If monolingual ATC and pilots using the radio would use standard R/T all the time and an International English in those situations where there is no sufficient phraseology incidents and accidents would happen less often. It would also be a relief to those who speak English as a second/foreign language.
Regardless, the emphasis must be first on using your standard phraseology and then when in situations regarding more communication, using a clear, concise and non-colloquial language.
What do you all think?
Plane English