PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non-standard R/T
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2006, 10:14
Mike Rosewhich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FM, nobody suggested this was a point scoring exercise, and as you can see from the above there seems to be some lively debate.

The fact is there are so many publications out there that many pilots don’t read on a regular basis because it is nearly impossible. Many will concentrate their efforts on the aircraft library, updates and CAP 371 as well as the 5 or so memo’s that seem to come out of my company on a daily basis. However documents like The ANO, UK AIP, CAP 413 and the many others that exist aren’t studied so closely.

By you own admission “I didn't bother to go upstairs to double-check the cover before posting!” well, you may then understand to ere is human.

With time, route familiarity and fatigue RT standards do slip, and yes we are checked on a yearly basis but that doesn’t mean the RT is formally assessed against the standard of CAP 413.

None of this is an excuse but there are other battles to fight, such as aircraft doing 300kts in Class E or pointing out what the difference between light and severe turbulence is. (Definition in UIK AIP BTW).

However I agree that in some cases RT discipline needs to be addressed and perhaps it should be part of our annual line check.