PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working in LOS in June/July What to expect ?
Old 4th Jun 2006, 05:47
Crepello

Shining Example, apparently...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of things to add: If you like a good curry, you'll enjoy the Nigerian stews. And if you like a hot curry, you'll love the pepper soup. If it doesn't drop your voice by an octave, it was watered-down...

Good post from Dan Air 87... a few observations from me:
I hope that the kidnapped oil workers are released safe and sound.
Agreed; and there but for the grace... but more importantly:
don't let this put you off.
Absolutely. Frankly it's a numbers game these days but so's life in general - the world over. The toughest part is convincing ageing parents back home that it's not as dangerous as they suspect.

Also agree about people in the Delta being fantastic. Last December, I spent a few days at a flowstation in the western swamps, first expatriate to appear there for years. Those places are staffed for appeasement rather than efficiency but even so, the locals made a point of approaching me to say "Welcome!". After that, they'd regularly ask when I was leaving but only so they could wish me a safe journey before I departed. It was an enriching experience and now, just six months later, that location's off limits.

Phone Wind's post rings true - I got 'home' to Houston to find a neighbour's wheels had been nicked, and another stolen car abandoned opposite my apartment. And this in a good part of town. Like I say: Numbers.

Final lesson: Never accept a ride home at 3am from the driver of a girl you just slept with. Story to follow - when I've cleared it with my shrink.

See what I mean? It's an amazing country, and reminds me how bored I've been doing 9-to-5 sh!t in "normal" places!