PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What a glorious day for flying...
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2006, 19:14
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MyData,
There will be other good weekends, really. I know how you feel, but you don't have to fly every single good weekend - even in Britain there are quite a few of them, though not enough for most of us.

I had a full day of instructing booked, six half hour trial lessons, every hour from 10 to 3. Since you need to brief students, wait for the obligatory photos, and fit in refuelling, this means I only managed a five minute break all day, and eventually sat down to eat lunch and fill in my log book at 4.30 pm. Was it worth it? YES!!!!! It was a wonderful day; you could see for ever. I took the R44 to fly around Alton Towers, twice. The others all wanted to learn to fly a helicopter - in half an hour!....so we stayed local and I managed to get them all flying straight and level after a fashion. Everyone loved it, relatives enjoyed sitting in the sun, and I got to demonstrate lots of quickstops and other fun things. I'm fairly worn out, and I haven't earned a fortune, but......this is why I became an instructor. Anyone else contemplating a late career change, and wondering if it makes sense or not.....GO FOR IT!