PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON - 2
Thread: LUTON - 2
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2006, 18:20
Buster the Bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr

I was offered a set of documents recently relating to Camp 270, most of the contents were in German, the bits I could not understand I got a German language expert to translate. In the main, they were letters and postcards from German POW's sent back to their home/friends/family in Germany/Austria and Hungary.

There was direct reference to POW's being held at Luton airport via the official censorship which accompanied the prose.

The items were eventually sold to a dedicated collector in Austria. I declined to purchase as they were outside my collecting parameters, but were interesting none the less. From memory, much reference was made to repatriation back to Germany, so maybe it was a staging post afer the end of WW2? Judging by the bureaucracy in the UK, I am surprised Autair were not flying them home in the 1960's!

Good news relating to the runway. The Arann timings are acknowledged Mr 1 BRAVO, hopefully more easterly wind to come for the summer! I am getting my noise complaint pad printed this week!