PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non-standard R/T
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2006, 11:11
MrBitsy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spitoon
Mr. Bitsy, just accept it. You are not supposed to listen to ATC frequencies. At present, and for as long as anyone I know can remember, the relevant authorities do not take action against someone who listens to the frequencies out of interest or other innocent reasons. But it is not a right under the UK legislation as it appears to be interpreted by OFCOM and, I presume, the British courts for the time being.
People who use receivers, and worse, transmitters, on ATC frequencies for nefarious purposes or who create interference on the frequencies are deservedly tracked down by the authorities.
If all you want to do is listen in to improve your skills or whatever, just do it and keep quiet. But accept that it is probably not lawful for you to do so.
I do accept it's illegal - just pointing out that all frequencies are published and available to all , so that could be interpreted by many as a go to listen in.

What about the positive side of listening in - everytime the press print one of the silly "near miss" stories, I have the knowledge to defend the ATC guys to friends and family

RK.