PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEMP protection - ACJ and BBJ Considerations
Old 3rd Jun 2006, 07:58
Sheep Guts
Props are for boats!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with 3 Greens. Larger systems are inherently because of their size more prone to total failures than smaller ones.NEMP damage is such a large an unforcasting type of scenario, that even most of the equipement said to be NEMP proof ( and sold to NATO standards and higher) really are only tested to certain parameters.

For example say the EMP pulse of energy came from an explosion behind the aircraft as opposed to the front. The natural shield of the Aircraft fuselage and its cargo and equipment would surely make it more NEMP proof than an occurence happening infront of the aircraft where there is little shielding at all.
NEMP is really a big broad happening that cant really be 100% protected as is there isnt such thing a 100% cleared mine field ( I once tried to impart on a colleague during a Hash walk in Kabul last year). So in thas instance, It would be hard on even a conventional non FBW aircraft such as 738 which would overtly suffer similair damage with similiar catastrophic outcomes.