PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Darwin Accomodation
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2006, 01:11
The Voice

Location: somewhere in the nth of Oz, where it isn't really cold
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just popping back briefly to Grumpy's first post on this thread, the response, in my most humble opinion to that first post from Bagot Locator, was a tad harsh.

That ditty has been trotted more than once in the last, oh, say 4-5 years. It is a tongue in cheek description of that landmark known to most residents of DRW.

Since then, there have been reasoned and interesting posts from several people and I commend them. This thread has now become interesting.

just adding this for thought, without wishing to incite a riot :

racial vilification is, under s4 of the act: in a nutshell I might add,

A person must not incite hatred towards, serious contempt for, or severe ridicule of, a person or group of persons on the ground of their race by a)threatening physical harm or (b)inciting others to threaten physical harm.

In that context, I think that debate then ends.

I was a territory resident at a very young age, both for myself and the territory. I have maintained my links over the years and have lived/worked and currently own property there.

It has changed with the times: unfortunately the cultural aspects of some within the wider Darwin community have changed but to their detriment.

It is a fact that there are indigenous folk, known as long-grassers, and are people who are either displaced from the communities for some act that has offended their local customary law OR, by choice, they have descended upon the bigger centres simply to drink (particularly if their community is dry).

It is a sad situation, one the NT Government together and in conjunction with the local indigenous elders is trying to overcome. Several practices are in force to attempt to reverse the trend. But as with all things, it does take time.

Oh, and there goes the no female participation in this thread theory.