PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2006, 21:21
haltonapp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had a pleasant afternoon in Brussels, is that possible, reading these postings on the mighty flatiron. I was on the line at Waddo as one of C/T "Topper" Browns' riggers in 69-70. We had our collection of characters, nights in the Raven Club, pig and piglet of the week and to keep morale up, night excercises, start night shift at 1630 and finish next morning at 0700. I do remember being in the queue for b'fast in the Sgt's mess being asked by a scribbly why I didn't wash before going to bed, I told him as nicely as I could that I intended to, or something like that!
I think that Waddo was unfortunate to host the RCDS visit for the two summers I was there, good static display for the station open day the only plus. I remember lying on the grass watching the three ship scramble and flypast, which was made more interesting by the site of the two mighty bombers with their bomb doors open and the third with its entrance door open! V clean cockpit when it landed at Scampton. We also had a brief flirtation with young Vulcan crew officers being designated as "divisional officers" asking some hairy ar##d chief tech if he needed any personal advice! Didn't last long thank heavens. I did my driving around Lincoln in a 3 tonner so that i could drive a rapid air, H2S or oxygen lorry. OC MT always complaining about the state of the cab roofs because we used to stand on them to reach the Oxygen and H2S charging points.
Happy days.