PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non-standard R/T
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2006, 19:13
FougaMagister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HEATHROW DIRECTOR - I agree that a number of PPLs etc. could do with more R/T practice; as you correctly mention, some simulator time might come in handy in that respect - but I guess that's another problem!

I was reflecting only on commercial R/T standards; checking aircrew R/T standards as part of the OPC for instance, would ensure that they stay up to scratch. Unfortunately, because the 6-monthly sim check rides can be so intensive with all the SOPs/emergencies etc. thrown in, R/T phraseology is rarely checked after licence issue.

An extreme example of the consequences of non-standard R/T can be found in the Flying Tigers 747 accident in Kuala Lumpur on 18 February 1989. I agree that most of the points I have highlighted will thankfully not come to that, but it does show a trend which, left unchecked, could one day contribute to another tragic outcome.

Cheers

P.S.: as for the legality of airband scanners, I use mine for professionnal reasons (and it has probably improved my R/T standards). If OFCOM was serious about prohibiting scanners, then they shouldn't be legally sold in most pilot shops.