PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mode S Consultation
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2006, 19:01
Maxflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read through the document and believe that it is pretty much decided. Mode S will be a part of our life soon enough. The suggestion seems to be that if it is not accepted fully we will lose swathes of class G to controlled airspace. The document notes how there will be detrimental effect on small FTOs and cites a business case where one operator will have to sell one aircraft in his fleet to fund the outfitting ofr his other aircraft with mode S kit. It says that the costs will be passed on by increases in student training rates and that there will be a fall off in the number of trainee PPLs taking up flying.

Apparently we (GA) are responsible for a phenomenal rate of near misses each year and this is the only way to stop it! I'm inclined to believe that it is more to do with an opportunity to tax us for our time in the air. Whilst that particular method of revenue grabbing is not alluded to in the document I just get the nagging feeling that GA is looked upon as an unwanted user of the sky above CAA land. The document notes the year on year increase of CAT and I guess the government and large operators have to be seen to be doing something about reducing emissions. Well, get rid of GA and I'm sure that would help meet our Kyoto commitments!

I realise reading my words that I sound a bit like a conspiracy theorist, but stranger things have happened.

I also know who killed Kennedy and can tell you the real truth about Roswell