PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hercules comes to heart transplant rescue
Old 2nd Jun 2006, 16:12
Fourfans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whinging Bean-Counters

I believe the critics of this operation have picked the wrong forum to complain about it. (Try an NHS Money-Wasting Forum) While there are some valid points raised, pooh-poohing congratulations of a crew and station that did its job well is unwarranted and misplaced.

There may very well have been other RAF aircraft that might seem better suited for a medevac role, such as a Dominie or a Jetstream. However, Lyneham maintains a standby posture with its aircraft that allow them to get airborne 40 minutes from the call, and they are configured for medevac missions. As for whether or not it is a core military capability, I think you will find that "Aid to the Civil Power" IS a core military capability, and always will be.

As for the aircrew, they do not go looking for congratulations after making flights like this. As one who performs missions such as these from time to time, I go to sleep at night secure in the knowledge that I helped save a life (or at least try to). That's all the congratulations I need.

Fourfans.