PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flat screen monitor
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2006, 15:35
FunkyMunky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently bought two Dell 2005FPW 20" widescreen TFTs and love them The wide aspect is perfect for watching movies and the response time for games is in the region of 12-16ms. The LCD panel itself is the same as you would find in an Apple Cinema Display (but at half the price).
(Please ignore the daft wallpaper )

Dell have now updated these with the 2007FPW. The techincal specs appear to the the same, however they have updated the stand and the casing to match the design of dells newer monitors.

The only problem is that Dell seem to underestimate the specifications - the monitors are waaaay brighter than claimed and have to be turned down if you want to avoid burning your eyes off

If you can, don't buy direct from Dell...the prices are over-inflated. I managed to get mine at almost half the price from Scan. Aria also carry these ranges. Aria also offer a seemingly worthwhile dead-pixel check for around £15 per monitor. I couldn't use this facility but my screens arrived without a single dead/stuck pixel anyways.

When looking for an LCD monitor, look for a high contrast ratio (600:1 or greater), high brightness (250cd/m^2 or greater) and a low response time (12ms is about the norm now and should be adquate, but I've seen smaller non-widescreens with response times of 4ms - these come at a price though).

I do a lot of photography and editing too.
In this case, I would definitely keep the CRT as a second screen provided that it is calibrated correctly. Colour definition on LCDs is improving all the time, and I use my LCDs for a lot of photography work as well, but there is always a noticable difference when for example sending a file between this PC and the laptops (again with difference LCD panels) or the other desktop with a CRT. The colours are never the same between all three machines

Last edited by FunkyMunky; 2nd Jun 2006 at 15:47.