PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabe a pilot! (And I'm too damn lazy to do a search)
Old 2nd Jun 2006, 15:13
VFE
Dancing with the devil, going with the flow... it's all a game to me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes PAT are great too - the Mollisons know their stuff alright. They were my first choice 6 years ago when I was looking at routes/options, a top outfit.

I am probably one of the only guys around here who have experienced both modular and integrated routes so therefore (dons big head) I like to think I know my stuff.

On balance, integrated was too much money for too little. Granted, I started an integrated school just after 911 and not long after the inception of the JAA so ground instructors and us students both had our work cut out. What I disliked was the 'subordinate' mentality of the establishment at the particular school I was paying (they have since sold out, changed heads etc..). When you are paying big bucks, the last thing you need is to be made to feel like a schoolkid, it is not only patronising but very demoralising, not to mention bloody annoying seeing as your money is financing their lifestyle - there was no consumer sensibility whatsoever and that is the biggest problem with training providers of the larger variety. That was my main gripe - plus the fact the groundschool notes were crap and I failed three out of my first six exams and wasn't 'allowed' to start flying training despite the fact my money had been nestling in their bank account and making them interest for nigh on 3 months at least...

Modular suited me far more and therefore that is the route I'll naturally advocate because that is when I gained control of my destiny and started to succeed so CAT3C Autoland is quite right on that score. One doesn't like to sound depressing but some reality is always required on these pages from time to time. PPRuNe will not get you through the training - hard graft, motivation and an inner conviction that you are fundamentally right in your aim is the key to getting through (and that can often spell 'selfishness' to those you love) but the last thing you need is problems with your training provider. It is a tough ole trip so apologies if I sound depressing but I'm a realist now and from briefly looking around wannabe's this week for the first time in yonks, there aren't too many of us posting these days.

You pays your money and you takes your choice/gamble. The only irrefutable peice of advice out there is that you should never pay up front - no matter how good the deal, in fact that should ring even bigger alarm bells. And if you want a tip from me: factor in an instructor rating at the end, register for tax before commencing your PPL training and claim back all your VAT at the end because you can be classed as 'self-employed instructor'. Now, had someone told me that at the start I'd be about £10K better off! Be warned you only have six months after 'purchasing your services' to register and claim back the VAT. So do it before you start your training.

The VAT on your training, maps, pens, clothing, you name it... can all be claimed back. The Inland Revenue may need to see a business plan regarding your self-employed status but apart from adding VAT to your fee's when you instruct you'll just need to keep all your invoices. Start being sensible about your money from the very beginning and you'll notice that your attention for small detail on the training side is increased because you're already becoming accustomed to the pilots mentality of analysing the finer points and looking after yourself. Self preservation is a key instinct in becoming a pilot and that works on more than a primary survival level.

Remember: it is Commercial aviation so, leave the heart out when making decisions.

VFE.

Last edited by VFE; 2nd Jun 2006 at 15:31.