PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dependant or not.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2006, 10:28
Pass-A-Frozo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

2,738 US citizens perished on 9th September 2001 in the terrrorist attacks. As did 10 Australians. As did 67 UK citizens.
No they didn't. They perished on 11th September 2001. As you tried to say, 11/9/01

So you took exception to "Yankee" and me pointing out that the US and Australia refer to dates differently??

ok... Yankee definition:
A native or inhabitant of New England.
A native or inhabitant of a northern U.S. state, especially a Union soldier during the Civil War.
A native or inhabitant of the United States
I'm not sure what issue you have with the term Yankee (having been called one several times myself) unless of course you consider yourself a Confederate.

If I wished to denigrate (which I don't, I lived in the US and my g/f is American) there are much better terms to use.

I'd venture to suggest that it's because it is not what you are used to. Within any given year, the month is more significant than the day.
Yes, and the year is more significant from the month. So why not 01/09/11
You assume because I refer to 9/11 as 11/9 I denigrate the US??? How about this smiley then:

Say it as is spoken: "Pre 11th September". Do you take exception to the US teaching me in High School that WW2 was 1941-1945??? The assumption would be that the massive number of deaths pre Pearl-Harbour were not part of WWII

I really think you've taken a small literary issue to an extreme.

It's not big and it most certainly is not clever. Just like gaining access to a military base without ID.
Yes, shame on me posting a rumour on a rumour network

I just took exception to P-A-F's implicit condemnation of the US, in the context of September 11th, 2001.
That's ok . I take exception to your lack of understainding regarding my post and background.

Last edited by Pass-A-Frozo; 2nd Jun 2006 at 11:07.