PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is it everyones goal to fly a big jet ??
Old 2nd Jun 2006, 03:10
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Size isn't everything!

Speaking as someone who has flown several big jets including classic and glass 747s, big = flying longer = more boredom = more fatigue. Flying a 747 across the Pacific may sound like the pinnacle of a pilot's career but it may mean one landing a month with lots and lots and lots of time in the cruise. The novelty wears off very very quickly! My airline is getting 747-400s. Everyone keeps asking "have you bid, you must want to fly them again!" Not a chance! Most of my colleages are Antipodeans who are desparate to fly something like a 747 because they don't get a chance to back in Oz. But after their first trip to Anchorage having flown 12 hours, being completely kn@ckered, landing in the dark (even though it's mid-day) in snow. I reckon their perception of the job will change very quickly.

Now I fly shorthaul on something much smaller - and it's great! More flying, more time at home, and I feel so much better!

But big is not necessarily harder either. The easiest big jet I have flown out of a total of five is the 747-400. The hardest flying, probably single pilot twin IFR. The most satisfying and fun - instructing!

Don't wish your life away. And you can always rent a small fun aircraft - unless you're like Scroggs and have a lot other comitments. Another hazard of long haul flying perhaps!