PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coming to an airline near you soon!!
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2006, 21:39
missleadfoot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this proposal by Indian Airlines is absurd and their excuse "to remain competitive" is just not a valid point. Just look at the types of pax we all carry, all ages, sizes and shapes. For example some airlines have realised that some older pax prefer to be served by crew a little more senior in age than the typical stereotype of a "gorgeous young thing". I know that in Australia and the UK we have seen a break from the trend and have been recruiting people of all ages and for that matter, sizes. It simply doesn't matter anymore, personally I believe an airline that employs a diverse group of crew displays a more personable impression, crew that all pax can relate to and feel comfortable with, after all we too are human and their are a lot of skills being missed by airlines who have this ridiculous policy. However, I see nothing wrong by and it is in the best interest of employers to encourage staff to keep fit and healthy.
If this airline seriously wants to remain competitive they should probably invest in better service training or come up with some innovative ways to attract customers. Could this be that management are actually the ones failing and passing the buck to the crew? These days pax travel to get from A to B at the best price and most convenient route, surely not the size or sex of the crew.....or am I completely wrong here?