PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Courting disaster by "demonstrating" Vmca
Old 1st Jun 2006, 21:29
MVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As to original post I agree with a later comment, the instructor concerned needs to go back to school and understand the relationship between altitude, vmca and stall speed.
One way around the problem with reaching the stall speed before vmca, with the increase in altitude (and a subsequent decrease in vmca as the live engine produces less thrust as you climb) is to limit the rudder travel (the instructor uses his foot), this simulates that you reach vmca ie there is no longer enough rudder authority to control the assymetric thrust from the live engine.
As to demonstrating/testing the student on a rejected take off, use a simulator to practise the engine failure (I cannot believe the amount of students that sit dumfounded as the aircraft veers off the runway (in the sim)the first time they get an engine failure on take off, despite briefing on their planned actions each time they start the sim!!! ) IMHO you would have to be a F%$%$ng idiot to pull a mixture lever back for real! Why some people feel the need to practice bleed is beyond me!
Sage advice from previous post to brief the RTO before hand, tell ATC what you plan and simulate a door open or something similar. Final bit of the rant is before you post what you think is correct "from memory" get your book out and check! Stupid advice on here might lead to stupid actions in an aircraft!