PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Capped Actuals - What are your experiences?
Old 1st Jun 2006, 19:17
Sloppy Link

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Any one one caught the gem about using your car for duty journeys? Must prove before use that you have business insurance with £10M (yes, £10M!) cover for death or injury to a passenger, a third party or to property. Who has that level of cover (apart from people using their vehicles for business use....not transporting themselves to meeting)? This now means that as there are not enough Mil vehicles in the pool for all the meetings that an A&SD HQ staff have to attend, the local hire companies are going to be rubbing their hands in glee. The reason alot of people use their own cars is convenience which equals morale. It would certainly annoy to drive 10 miles into work to pick up a Mil/Hire car only to drive past my house on the way to the meeting a further 10 miles away. A 20 mile journey that would cost £5 or so PCR (do not forget PCR journeys are abated by any RILOR/RESPOD already being drawn) becomes £25 for a hire car plus petrol. What with the faff of worktickets, fuel cards, having to park your own car a 5 min walk from the MT gates which are locked at 0700 in the morning so a 10 min walk to the Guradroom to draw the keys to find you are not on the key list when some civvy who does not know what a sense of urgency turns up blah blah blah you can see where I am coming from. The rules state this is for all PCR claims so that means that on posting, I will get a hire car to get me to my new posting and then will have to somehow get back to my old posting to collect my own car to go to my new unit. What is the difference between my receiving RILOR/RESPOD to travel from my home to my normal place of work (no proof of any insurance required) and travelling to a different (temporary) place of duty? Finally,if you use a motorbike, then only third party insurance is required. Clearly, they consider motorbikes to be safer. I would wager that RoSPA would have a view on this.
Afternote...My Father runs a small business with a fleet of 3 vehicles. He has Fleet Business Insurance from one of the major insurers and is not covered to that level. Collectively, his vehicles cover 150K miles per annum. I can expect to cover about 1K
A perfectly good system that suited those who wanted it to. Why do people feel they have to interfere.