PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is it everyones goal to fly a big jet ??
Old 1st Jun 2006, 18:35
raviolis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's lots of people here posting with zero hours saying they want to fly jets and how they're gonna do it, Oxford, Cabair, Jerez, PPL at 17, ATPL at 19 and away we go. For how much one can appreciate the determination and forward vision and planning, to me it just clutters the posts and it doesn't really offer any useful information.
To me, knowing that Jimmy or Jane want to fork out 60 grand for an integrated .. well honeslty I couldn't care less.
I read this forum for months, without even posting a word on it because I had zero hours.
I felt sick on my first flying lesson. Didn't feel great on the second either. Had serious doubt until the 5th whether I would continue my PPL at all. Same doubts arose again around the 12th-13th, struggling with landings and all ! Now I'm loving it and it's the highlight of my week. But how do I know if I will want to fly a jet ? Have I ever tried one ? Will I be able to ? yeah sure, the idea sounds promising... but let the experience develop naturally and take it where it shall.
I think real experience from fellow pilots and trainees, information about courses, schemes... That's useful. But the "what I want to do when I grow up" kind of thing.... I'm not sure we want to know !
Getting there, the challenge and reward of pushing your learning limits a bit further, and succeeding... well that's part of the fun. You might just as well enjoy it, with all that it costs !
Quite frankly, reading about 13 and 15 year old kids has kind of put me off pprune, which I once looked at as an incomparable source of information !

Peace