PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabe a pilot! (And I'm too damn lazy to do a search)
Old 1st Jun 2006, 16:35
VFE
Dancing with the devil, going with the flow... it's all a game to me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What i am looking for is some good advice on the different routes to becoming an airline pilot and any experiences people may have had.
If I could 'do it all again' the route I'd choose would be modular unless part-sponsorship is still a possibility?

I would do the PPL and CPL in the USA with the ATPL groundschool at Bristol. I'd even consider FAA PPL if it were cheaper. You only need an ICAO PPL and 150 hours to start the JAA CPL.

For the IR I'd choose BCFT at Bournemouth.

MCC? Cheapest available.

I would also factor for the flying instructor rating at the end - screw the self funded type rating 'option' - ethically it's amoral, shows financial immaturity to potential employers, and most importantly it's too much money for the slight increase in job prospects it provides.... IMHO, of course. However, if you landed a job on the basis of paying for your type rating I'd forget about the FIC.

Take one step at a time. Don't be afraid to spend time on your training - aeroplanes will still need pilots by the time you qualify and the longer it takes the more you'll be able to evaluate whether the career is definately for you. People admire someone who has 'come up through the system' as it were, as opposed to integrated guys (sorry integrated guys!).

Lastly, I'd be prepared for disappointment at the end - those who give up the dream are roughly a silent 45% of the total who qualify.

Good luck!

VFE.