PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is it everyones goal to fly a big jet ??
Old 1st Jun 2006, 13:22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fly a big jet? Not me.

I'm sure like many people here, I've always got a kick out of flying, either as a passenger or a spectator. I've always been fascinated by big jets and fighter aircraft, but up until recently I'd never had any interest in any aircraft with a prop.

At least that's what I used to think before I started to fly - now it's all the other way around. I guess because I know I'll never be able to find the time or money to learn to fly a jet, this side of aviation doesn't consume me as much as it once did.

People I have met say that while flying airliners is a wonderful lifestyle (read exotic destinations, nice hotels, social life, but travelling is not always fun in excess, especially when so much of your time is spent away from family), there is a lot more management of the aircraft and less flying to do compared to the much more basic, seat of your pants flying that some of the small props offer. On that proviso, for me at least, I now think flying props sounds better. Not as glamourous no, but possibly a little more romantic?

Don't all shoot me down in flames, this is just my opinion and I'm not dissing airline pilots or their craft. If I was given the chance I'd love to fly a jet but for me that would only ever be a pipe dream.

Realistically, I could only ever hope to gain PPL and some endorsements to improve my skills but time and cost would always limit my hobby to props. Maybe if I win lotto(!), and I'm good enough to be able to instruct complete newcomers like me one day, I'd be absolutely wrapped.

I hear the pay sucks and for many it's a means to an end, but as someone who has had the pleasure of teaching others, I can say I've never done anything more rewarding. Teaching people to fly, I reckon that'd be job satisfaction in spades.