PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career as a pilot!
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2006, 12:31
theedmancometh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sainty, I've been following this thread with great interest as I'm facing a similar dilemma, only Downunder.

Firstly, I also recommend seeing an optometrist. I found that if you have any problems with your eyes, no matter how minor, it could delay and upset the application process. I had applied for the RNZN for pilot, and had ticked a box on the Medical questionairre asking about wearing glasses. I had been told by an optometrist that I needed glasses for night flying, as I have very minor shortsightedness. This is not listed as a Restriction on my civi PPL medical cert.
The same optometrist provided the Navy hospital with the figures, and they said I had no problems and was above their acceptance standard. Long story short, tick the wrong box and without any evidence on hand you get mucked around.

Secondly, I would ignore any comments directed at any lack of knowledge of the Armed forces or the application process, as this is an ideal place to ask people with experience about the ins and outs of it all. Especially when other people say the selection boards will want to know how much you know about what you're getting into, and the job you will be doing. I would also say that you obviously have the drive or else you wouldn't be on here in the first place.

Lastly, I was always told that it pays to have a back up. This is after all, how I've ended up maintaining Navy helicopters, and not flying them. I'm 26, and am about to have a second try at applying. Even though it was said that it's a young mans game, I feel I have a shed load more life experience and skill than I had when I first applied at 17. Although it seems you have a tighter time line to acheive your goals, before you are "over the hill".

Good luck, ask as many people you can to build up a good picture of where you're heading, and I only wish as many Kiwis and Aussies used this forum as the Brits.

ED