PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First placcy model
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2006, 10:26
Groundgripper

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I do remember some of the balsa wood ones - Baroudeur (French experimental fighter built by SNCASE, launched off a trolley, landed on retractable skids), Javelin (at about 1/48 scale; I spent ages whittling away at a plank of balsa to get the wing shape almost correct but gave up in the end).
As for flying models, I was given kits of both the Canberra and Comet. Neither flew particularly well - I couldn't afford a Jetex 100 motor and the Jetex 50 didn't have enough guts. Also I painted the Comet so well that it glided like a brick. But they both burned very well!
I came across the remnants of a 1/72 scale F-27 in Aer Lingus colours some time ago, the years (and my son) had not been kind to it
Mind you, I've still got the balsa wood Golden Hind and Victory on display in the sitting room cabinet. It took me about ten years to get the courage up to build Victory (again carved from the solid) as the finished article is only about six inches long and has very detailed rigging - my eyesight has never been the same since .
GG