PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police Breath Tests
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2006, 09:35
Capt Claret

Bottums Up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It surprises me how many people remember the 8 hours bottle to throttle but forget the rest of CAR (1988) 256, the relevant bits for pilots:
256 Intoxicated persons not to act as pilots etc. or be carried on aircraft
  • (1) A person shall not, while in a state of intoxication, enter any aircraft.
    Penalty: 5 penalty units.
  • (2) A person acting as a member of the operating crew of an aircraft, or carried in the aircraft to act as a member of the operating crew, shall not, while so acting or carried, be in a state in which, by reason of his or her having consumed, used, or absorbed any alcoholic liquor, drug, pharmaceutical or medicinal preparation or other substance, his or her capacity so to act is impaired.
    Penalty: 50 penalty units.
  • (3) A person shall not act as, or perform any duties or functions preparatory to acting as, a member of the operating crew of an aircraft if the person has, during the period of 8 hours immediately preceding the departure of the aircraft consumed any alcoholic liquor.
  • (4) A person who is on board an aircraft as a member of the operating crew, or as a person carried in the aircraft for the purpose of acting as a member of the operating crew, shall not consume any alcoholic liquor.
Similar requirements for FSO/ATC

Spotlight
Is there a Licence holder out there that would crew with or allow someone to perform an aviation function knowing they were impaired. I don't think so.
Sadly, I beg to differ. I've heard the stories and seen the photos of a comatose pilot in a multicrew environment which, for that day, was single pilot. Admittedly years ago but I don't think much has changed in the intervening time.

Last edited by Capt Claret; 1st Jun 2006 at 09:46.