PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collective Color Blindness Thread (PART 1)
Old 31st May 2006, 22:48
shgsaint

Cheers 2close,

I'm expecting the Ishihara plates as they're the standard for ascertaining CVD. I'm crap at them so those tests won't last long.

Heres what Cardiff sent me in a previous email:

"Most of the tests we do are the Ishihara test , Farnsworth D15 test and City colour vision tests although we do have several other tests available. We do however only possess one lantern test that still works, which is the Archer Elliott lantern. Lantern tests were developed for specific occupations and therefore different workers were tested with the appropriate lantern. Some of these presented several coloured lights simultaneously either horizontally or vertically and some were just single presentations of one coloured light. The Archer Elliott that we have is single presentations of one coloured light, which is suppose to be the easiest to pass.

I'm not sure what the standard required by the CAA is these days, but you will need to know the specific test required for us to help you.
Also, unfortunately many lanterns are not commercially available and so we cannot obtain them if they are required. Lantern tests are pretty ancient but unfortunately many of these authorities will not update there standards to fall in line with more modern or accessible colour vision tests".

From this i'm guessing that they don't have, or the their holmes-wright lantern isn't working. I'll try and rumage around the CAA website to get the appropriate eye test forms so they know what is required.

Even if I don't see the Holmes Wright i'll still like to see what a real life lantern looks like in real life even if it is an inaccurate representation of the one in Gatwick. Just to get a professionals point of view will be enlightening. Just hope I come away happy instead of being told that i'm as colour blind as a dog!

Cheers for the advice though.