PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is it everyones goal to fly a big jet ??
Old 31st May 2006, 19:06
On speed on profile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Credit..... So you go to work every day, jump in your big shiny jet and think........
Originally Posted by bad credit
Many of the emergencies conducted in the sim will never happen to a pilot in his career.
Frankly, it shocks me to think a jet pilot with 100+ pax down the back has that cavalier attitude. You practice emergencies because they can and do happen. Qutoing the fact that it is a 1 in 1 million chance (or whatever it is) of getting a V1 failure means nothing when that one time happens to you.

You are absolutely correct when you say....
It is when it goes wrong that is the real test.
but you couldnt be more wrong when you say
An experienced pilot is just as inexperienced to an engine failure at V1 as a 200 hour pilot when it happens for real the first time.
Wrong.... A captain has loads more experience, has practised the drill many more times than you have, understands the principles a lot better and has more capacity. From then on your thread just contradicts itself.

Honestly, if the first quote is your attitude, you need to pull your head in man! Keep it in mind that you have only been tested for "bad" emergencies in a simulator where the worst that will happen is some soiled pants with a p45 following shortly after. You havent been tested in real life. You should always assume the worst scenario, then you are always prepared for it. If you dont, then when it does happen you sure as hell wont be ready. In my last OPC/LPC, I was told to assume EFATO. Self brief it, give yourself the options in your head, formulate a plan then go for it.

When the captain is giving the T/O brief, are you sitting there thinking, it will never happen to me!!! From the sounds of it, you are.

I live by a saying.... Assumption is the mother of all f$%k ups! Never assume it will never happen to you. NEVER!

Last edited by On speed on profile; 31st May 2006 at 19:24.