PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is it everyones goal to fly a big jet ??
Old 31st May 2006, 18:51
bad credit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hingey. I went onto a 737 with just over 200 hours. An experienced type rating examiner decided that I was good enough to pass my LST. After my line training, a training captain decided i was good enough to be released to the aviation world as a pro pilot.
I was also cabin crew for many years before hand and with the greatest respect to my colleagues down the back, how can they pass judgement? I couldnt have...
Another angle is this. Many of the emergencies conducted in the sim will never happen to a pilot in his career. Flying day to day is not rocket science. It is when it goes wrong that is the real test. An experienced pilot is just as inexperienced to an engine failure at V1 as a 200 hour pilot when it happens for real the first time. Experience gives you the capacity to deal with the problem but everyone has passed the same sim tests to deal with it. Experience obviously counts for a hell of a lot. Is that not why you have a captain and a first officer?
This is only my opinion and i am sure there are many who may disagree. Thanks for your time...... Answers on a postcard!