PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is it everyones goal to fly a big jet ??
Old 31st May 2006, 16:18
hingey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Totally agree with what female wannabe said. If the transition is from IR training on a Seneca or Duchess to a 737, have you really gained enough experience to handle something like that? Without diving into the MPL argument, I think starting off as a 'hands on' pilot will greatly increase your skills and judgement, whereas jumping straight into a jet is almost a tad risky. I've met cabin crew who say they feel unsafe with a 22 year old second in command of over 100 lives with nothing but a handful of hours on type.

Having to make decisions about weather etc makes the better pilot. If two pilots both have 15,000 hours, one all on a 73 the other on light singles and twins, turboprobs and jets, who do you think is likely to be the most experienced?

I also feel if you start high up the ladder, where do you go from there? I'd rather progress to the left seat of a jumbo, feeling as if I'm really earning that seat. Someone once said to me "If you are truly a pilots pilot, you won't mind what and where you fly". One of the best pieces of advice I've ever had.

h