PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots 'prepared to strike'?
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2006, 12:36
FlyingTom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be willing to bet that 99% of people joining any company do not have a very strong grasp about pensions. They understand start salary, end salary, health scheme, time to command, company reputation and fringe benefits. I was a pension numpty and thought I would just check with my union who said: come on in, the waters are warm. The fact is that BARP was a new concept for BA who had been through several years of financial loss and wanted to cut long term costs. BALPA never accepted BARP but members may have been persuaded by a flight ops letter outlining that the pension pot was limited, their pension was under attack and allowing BARP in would take pressure off the fixed pot allowing higher payments into NAPS.

I trusted BA's reputation as a quality, fair employer. I knew pensions were usually about 2/3 of final salary and BA's final salary is excellent. By rough calculation I figured 2/3 of £130K= £80K for NAPS. I would reasonably expect £60K then for BARP. Factor for a shorter career and I would expect £40K. Balpa said £30K so there was a bit of work to do but be optermistic.

Imagine the shock when it becomes apparent the figure is £10K. on checking I realise that the calculation should have been based on pensionable pay which no one tells you is 80% of basic or about half of gross.

Now I know I can't live on £10K. NAPSters still bleet "you knew what you were signing up to" when clearly I and they did not. If they did then I am disgusted that a unionised workforce allowed it to happen. I can understand BA's commercial drive supercedes any honour but what of my colleagues honour?

I see the strategic need for BARPers to unite behind NAPS but to be told my family's future is not as important as yours and it is all my fault is not the case. The proposed loss to a NAPS pension exceeds what mine will ever be.

Luckily most BA pilots do have honour and can see a disparity but the bleeters are not helping pilot unity and therefore themselves.