PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Zimbabwe opportunities
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2006, 08:58
Woof etc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cavorting Cheetah

Don't agree. As a grd2 instructor and contract pilot with over 1000 hrs of instruction, why shouldn't I instruct and pass on my experience when I am off contract. I have earned the right to do so, have nothing to prove and figure I offer the student a lot more bang for the buck. At the end of the day the student is the customer and has the right to choose his or her instructor. Experienced pilots often make better instructors since they instruct because they enjoy doing so, not for the hours.

Then again, I can see the point you are trying to make - the whole aviation industry used to be based on a hierachial structure, sadly not anymore. Nowadays it is a case of the pilot with the most money for the type rating wins.

That said I haven't instructed in around 3 years - but don't tell me that I am in someway doing a low time instructor a diservice if I choose to do so. Back in my instruction days I sometimes mused on the fact that some of my students' golf instructors got paid more than what I was being remunerated - yet the skills I was trying to impart might make the difference between life and death! I attribute the skills taught by my instructors for saving my skin on more than one occasion.

Besides, with the dollar being what it is, even the contract pilots need the dosh (or should we say beer money at current instructors wages).

Last edited by Woof etc; 31st May 2006 at 09:49.