PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - primary effect of elevator
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2006, 05:25
plucka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
primary effect of elevator

I am after some instructers ideas on this matter.

When I was taught to fly the primary effect of the elevator was believed to be pitch and as far as I know that is still what is taught. However after alot more experince I now disagree, I believe the primary effect of the elevator is angle of attack. Although very similar when in cruise quite different when stalled or very near the stall or critical angle of attack.

As we know stalling is when the wing reahes the critical angle of attack and stops producing lift, REGARDLESS OF SPEED. Did you also now that for a constant weight and atmospheric conditions being a constant, the aircraft will stall with the elevator at the same position regardless of speed. Hence if we do a staight stall with a high nose attidute we stall with the control column 2" from our beer guts lets say, therefore regardless of speed the aeroplane will stall with the control column 2" from our guts every time with weight as a constant.

This said not alot of us spend that much time so close to the stall, hence when we pull or push, the aeroplane pitches but that is because the angle of attack changed.

Do you think this should be taught because alot of new students I talk to do not seem to have a full understanding of stalling or angle of attack.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.