PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Run by Bean-Counters and OHS
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2006, 03:23
wirgin blew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People who are disabled generally need little if any help. They are used to getting around on there own and can easily transfer from there own chair to an aircraft wheelchair and then to there seat. My greivence is with the families of elderly and infirm who drop Nan or Pop at the curb and expect the company to "care" for these people from the curb at one end to the curb at the other end. This goes above and beyond what any company other than a hospital or nursing home should be providing. This does happen every year come special holidays such as easter and christmas when ground staff are already pushed to the limit.

The other people who generally require assistance are of the large variety and will expect to be pushed around the airport like they are the King or Queen. God knows how these people get around at home, do they have someone push them around there house or to the shops, I think not.

Lastly a problem that has always been around is the theft of the aircraft wheelchair. These things disappear faster than they can be bought. I am not sure where they end up but over a period of time will cost any company tens of thousands of dollars.

Just a few reasons why staff would be pushing the company into this via by submitting the appropriate workcover/safety/hazard event report which requires any company these days to do something before an injury occurs.