PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's decision to fly alone cost 8 lives, coroner says
Old 31st May 2006, 00:44
pakeha-boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prospector....I would have to agree with the findings,to a certain degree....I like you and MOR have spent many hours flying single pilot operations,with the approval of the ops specs,knowing full well that under certain conditions another set of Qualified eyes would have been an asset,but because single pilot ops were approved it was now "okay"....I have a type rating in the Metro 3 with the provision "a second in Command' IS REQUIRED!!!!...for good reason...I do CAT 3A/B apps now that without an F/O would not be possible...how is it that under Part 91 I was able to do 0/0 weather mins and all sorts of other ****e with low hours,yet for some reason with over 18,000 hrs+.NDB APPS have higher mins,circle to land apps are severly restricted,VOR apps have 18m added to the MDA and various other measures are enforced !!! obviously to stop the "rouge" pilot in me.....

This is sad story for sure,and we all remember reading about this tradegy...my condolences to all involved.....we have ,previously talked of other accidents on this site,......accidents will happen,and this was a very costly accident,to say we will hopefully learn from this seems very shallow as it could of have been prevented,but it is only by discussing these happening,s that we do learn......

"To fly west my friend is a checkride we must all take"