PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA to make U-Turn in their Business plan
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2001, 12:39
DPIT

MrUppity,

You certainly do live up to your name! Although I find your tone a little off, I am interested in your point. In my opinion, BA does have too high a headcount, and needs to bring it down. So, here, I am going to have to agree with you. The cuts have to come, in what you so eloquently describe as "my ilk".

Interestingly enough, you obvously know in exact detail what I do! You also presume that as a "beancounter" I hate all pilots. WRONG...I wanted to be a pilot. Indeed, got a RAF Scholrship, got a PPL...and then ran out of money!! I unfortunately, failed the BA tests, so decided, as I have a genuine love for all things aviation, to go into the management. Whenever I travel on duty or for pleasure, I always politely ask if I can jumpseat...and genuinly enjoy it. I think, that the flight crew also enjoy talking to me, as unlike some people I can have a sensible discussion!.

There are several areas where I would cut costs...and none of these are on the operational side. I also disagree with outsourcing as a away of cost cutting...I am assuming that you haven't read Gordon Bethune's (CO's CEO & Chairman also an ex- PILOT!!!!) as he is a beancounter, and all beancounters are bad!!!!! However, he makes a valid point about outsourcing, and to cut a long story short, he brought all of CO's catering inside the airline.

Thus...amazing....a "beancounter" who agrees with getting rid of other beancounters!!!

To make a serious point though, I like to look on the matter with a mature attitude, and not a childish one which Mruppity seems to do. At the end of the day, we are all in this together, and we can BOTH make a difference!

AMEX, thank you for that glowing recommendation; Much appreciated. You are correct, I am based at Waterworld!!! Are you still at EGKK working for the airline we both love?

I like to think that I am one of the 'new generation' of BA staff who are not corporaty blinkered. I will not say "yes" when everybody else does if I do not agree. I will always put my point across, and back it up. Unforuntately, during bad Bob's times, there were too many yes men!!

Anyway, must go...thanks again for your recommedation!

[This message has been edited by DPIT (edited 21 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by DPIT (edited 21 June 2001).]