PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fighter Pilot
Thread: Fighter Pilot
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2006, 21:38
O2thief

Fighter Pilot-John McRea and Robbie Lowe

During my time at 6 FTS at Finningley, as a LLTS (Low Level Training Squadron), instructor I had the oportunity (as an ex Vulcan Nav Radar) to actually fly in a decent FJ at Honnington. On 12th Oct 1981, young Mr McRea was on one of his last Bucc OP phase sorties, if I remember, and was to lead a pair against a Hunter TMk 8C flown by the leg-end himself Kirbs . "We'll fly the opposite to his route, at medium level, and when you see him tell me and we will let down and tap him". Fair enough thinks I, trying not to be sick at this stage, when just then, about 12k below us I, flukely, happened to spot a shadow. " Nine O'clock low" says the steely eyed Nav radar "got him says Kirbs and in about five seconds flat Mcrea and his mate were toast; passed the trip and went to RAFG I think. What fine sport that was. No idea where John is now perhaps Foldingwings might know?
I was also the LLTS course commander for Robbie Lowe, who was the long haired ex-milkman/postman (I can never remember which). Robbie was unfortunatly chopped from the Canberra OCU for struggling with night assymetric approaches (fortunate really considering the number of fatalities doing just that both before and after his time). Instead of restreaming him for ME the RAF, in its wisdom, sent him to Finningley. He turned out to be an outstanding student who eventually went on to command No 31 Sqn at Bruggen. He is, I believe, still flying the "Fin" at Lossiemouth.