PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hercules ESF - technical, tactical and service issues. (Title edited)
Old 29th May 2006, 19:09
HrkDrvr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice pics. But you need to read the BOI, not watch Al Jazeera. One is a panel of crash investigation experts whose agenda is the prevention of further accidents & loss of life. The other is a propaganda tool for terrorists whose agenda is the destruction of Western civilization.

Originally Posted by BOI 2-1
The wreckage of XV179 was found in 2 separate and distinct locations. The main site contained all human remains and ac structure less the outboard section of the right-hand wing, which was found at a second site, 1.3 miles away. The separated section of wing had become detached due to an explosive over-pressure event occurring within the number 4 fuel tank.
This part's worth repeating:

Originally Posted by BOI
The separated section of wing had become detached due to an explosive over-pressure event occurring within the number 4 fuel tank.
Virtually impossible to occur with ESF installed. It was not "blown off" by a weapon, the weapon ignited the fuel-air mixture & the wing popped off. Consequently, weapon type becomes somewhat irrelevant. The BOI comes to this same conclusion when it states this:

Originally Posted by BOI 2-16/17
The large, relatively intact, but separate sections of the outboard wing prove that the wing blew apart due to an internal overpressure. ... The over-pressure that separated the wing must have occurred in the number 4 fuel tank, ... The cause of this explosive event has been considered in detail by the AAIB Senior Investigator, who concludes that it is most likely to have been caused by an ignition of the fuel/air mix in the space above the fuel, known as the ullage. ... Furthermore, the Board concluded that the lack of a supression system within the fuel tank, such as foam or inert gas, was a contributory factor.
This part is worth repeating:

Originally Posted by BOI
Furthermore, the Board concluded that the lack of a supression system within the fuel tank, such as foam or inert gas, was a contributory factor.
Furthermore, the authenticity of the beginning portion of the video containing the rocket firing scenes has not, to my knowledge, been verified. Regardless, the fitting of ESF would, in all probability, have prevented the explosion that blew the wing off regardless of weapon type.

And tell me again what your preferred "fleet wide fit of DIRCM" could have done against unguided rockets? I'll save you the effort - Answer = Square root of F**K ALL!

Besides, I thought you said your piece & weren't going to comment further...

Last edited by HrkDrvr; 29th May 2006 at 19:24.