PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEMP protection - ACJ and BBJ Considerations
Old 29th May 2006, 11:36
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look chum, I'm rated on the 737 (as well as the 747-400), and shortly will be re-rated on it. I do happen to know what I'm talking about. I'm glad you are so glibly confident a 737 would survive manual reversion- I am not so sure it is that assured. All instruments are supplied by the Air Data Computer, so they would go out. The Standby ASI is supplied with direct pitot static, so hopefully that would work, but not necessarily if the standby electrical system was burnt out.

You harp on about RATs. They would have electrical control systems that may be burnt out, so probably useless.

You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about this. Can you advise me how many aeroplanes have ever had a problem due to EMP interference, and how much of a hazard you actually think it currently is to civil aviation? Do you think perhaps we could better invest in protecting aeroplanes from meteor strikes, for instance, or beef up the undercarriages so if an earthquake occured during the take-off/landing rolls, we would be better protected from disaster?

So you are writing to people demanding better protection from a hazard that:
*hasn't ever occured yet
*there is no likely prospect of it occuring yet.