PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who says there is no shortage of Helicopter Pilots?
Old 29th May 2006, 10:54
Geoff Williams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Life will be good if you stick at it

Of course in the land down under we’ve had a co-pilot instrument rating for a number of years (not ICAO recognised). Pass the IREX, fly an NDB approach and you’ve got one. Continue to gather another 50 hours of IF and you can present for a Command IR. Although, the latest talk is that this will go with the new CASR’s…..shame.

All well and good but, how many Coey positions are there in OZ? Not too many. Esso, Bristow offshore, some CHC offshore and Childflight. Most EMS is single pilot. Until the industry and its clients realise that you will only get out what you put in, not much will change. After all, the Oz scene is pretty small on the scale of things or otherwise I might not be suffering a touring position like now. Coupled with the current Timor trouble, I can’t see a great increase in the offshore demand for crews. Interesting to count up the number of ME CIR positions in Australia, my guess max. 100.

Overseas is a different kettle of fish. North Sea drivers are now paid reasonably well compared to pre BALPA days. The African scene is desperate for pilots with both Bristow and now CHC proposing expat CP’s as there are not enough National candidates around to train up whilst keeping up with the work load. Canada, just pretend you have a licence and your in. GOM, guys working compulsory overtime due lack of drivers.

I’m fortunate as I’ve have a job, but you low time guys, you also are fortunate if you turn the age advantage to your benefit. Get the IREX and ATP exams done and finished. Scratch out the hours like most of us had to do and ‘pay you dues’. That never changes believe me. Make yourself more employable than the next person by attitude, presentation and all the other life skills that help to get you moving up the ladder. Your chances of earning a good living at flying a helicopter is the best I’ve seen in my 30 years of flying, but you have to go get it, it won’t and never has been easy. You might have to think outside Oz to do it, but don’t be afraid to do so. It’s a totally different world out here.

Above all…don’t give up

Geoff