PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life Sentences for Desertion...
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2006, 09:08
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fightingchickenplumb
Tom watson is right , we cant have a forces that we pick and choose where we go
Why not? We are an equal opportunity employer open to all faiths, genders and persuasions. The force you join today may be employed to do something in the future that you would never have joined if they were doing it today.

When I joined Kuwait had just finished and the Cold War was the thing. Africa, after the winds of change, was no longer a balls aching posting although rumour had it that your friendly ayrab would do the favours if you looked at his women.

Fighting those 'commie bastards' even if they were in Indonesia was an OK thing.

We won and peace broke out.

Now we have wars of choice. Where does that leave your Birmingham Chinese if we nip off east somewhere? Or your Carib or African when parachuted in to Sierra Leone?

You cannot have equal opportunities for all and then expect everyone to be equally employed anywhere against anyone.

During the Suez campaign a Canberra jock decided against Government policy and opted out on the take-off roll. Retracting your undercarriage with a load of bombs on was gutsy as suicide bombing wasn't in vogue in '56.