PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA ATPL Ground Exams
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2006, 07:21
neilia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're welcome - it's hard to know where to start looking for things if you don't even know what's out there to be looked for!

Noticed a lot of frantic questions from you Sicky - so a few other bits of advice from me (a fellow wannabe currently on ATPL studies)...

- Age is on your side. There is really no panic whatsoever for you to be rushing into flying training right now. As a general guideline, I recall that when BA still had their cadet scheme the cutoff age was 26. That's the youngest cutoff I've seen for any cadet scheme, and even that would still give you 6 years to play with. I believe CTC is 30.

- Talk to some real live people about this! I think I remember reading that you're studying in Leeds? A quick Google turned up http://www.leedsflyingschool.co.uk/ who offer all the modular flight training - why not just drop in and have a chat to them? Flying types are usually more than happy to spend time talking about flying stuff and you'll probably find you get a lot of really good help and reassurance from them.

- It would be worth finishing your degree if you can stomach it. Engineering is certainly a useful subject to have in your back pocket, both for aviation and for finding other work in general, not necessarily specifically in engineering.

- Definitely get that trial flight in ASAP - even if your aim is big jets, you're going to spend a lot of training time banging around the skies in a little tin can with a lawnmower engine strapped to the front, navigating visually, dodging clouds, shuffling paper maps. It would be good to find out now if you're not going to like it.

Alright, enough from me!
Good luck
Neil