PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - c-172 and p-28 difference in flying
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2006, 07:02
Kaptain Kremen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I'm assuming you mean the Archer series and C172 for my points.
I instruct on both. I think the C172 will float a bit further on a calm day if not flown accurately on speed. However, it is better on short/soft field work for sure if flown properly. The advantage for nav / photos is there with a high wing, but suffers in the lookout as a result, esp in turns.
Fuel pumps are an extra thing to faff with on the 28 as are the tanks, but not so much that i would choose the 172 because of them.
Fowler flaps on the 172 are superb - in the right hands - but should be taught well to avoid problems.Being electrically driven you can usualy select any flap setting you like, though of course can lead to problems following an electrical failure. The 28 may have only a few flap settings, but less likely to not work.
The 172 pax will feel way far back, esp during climb out and can be uncomfortable with the pitch attitude. Not sat in the back of a 28, so not sure there.
The 172 is better to be upside down in following a sudden stop! Sorry, just had to put that one in!
The 28 is smoother and more responsive airborne, though can depend on the individual aircraft and rigging. My current 172 is a delight to handle.
Both have benign stall characteristics and are quite stable in the aproach.
Its best to have a flight in both types to see for yourself, they are both lovely aircraft. I would say the most important thing to look at is the type of field you are operating from. the 172 will win hands down on soft / short field performance.
hope this helps, just my thoughts.
KK