PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - c-172 and p-28 difference in flying
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2006, 23:20
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pa28 v C172

acuba 290,

I haven't flown a C172, but while re-validating my long expired PPL, I did about 29 hours on the Pa28 and developed an acute dislike for it. I eventually decided that as a touring aeroplane, it was probably just about acceptable, but as a training aeroplane it was quite unsuitable. The C152 is much cheaper to train in and in my view by far the superior training aeroplane.

The Pa28 has visibility from the cockpit like an armoured security van. In the turn, the top of the window frame comes down and obscures your view in the direction of turn. There is no rear view at all. This makes it difficult for a student pilot to learn circuit work, especially when doing right hand circuits.

Flying straight and level, a huge area of the ground is obscured by the wings, making navigation more difficult than it needs to be for a student pilot.

The trimmer wheel seems to be attached to the trimmer tab with elastic bands and the trimmer wheel is too highly geared. It is difficult to trim the aeroplane and even when you do, seconds after you have removed your hand from the trimmer wheel, the elasticity in that big, long linkage causes the linkage to contract, putting you out of trim again.

Add to this the fact that there is a door on only one side of such a big meaty aeroplane and you have an aircraft that in my view scores about two out of ten as a training aeroplane and four out of ten overall.

Broomstick.