PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMED, declined again
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2006, 22:16
SuperBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crewboy
Hi,
Could you tell me why you didn't enjoy working for them.
Thanks,
Crewboy
Please don't misunderstand. It is a great company in it's own right and many of the crew think it's the best thing since sliced cheese however it is just not for me.

Generally the trips very from 30 hours up to 7 days. Most of the trips though are very short and you literally get there, sleep, wake yourself up for a few hours so that you can sleep again so that you won't be shattered on the way back. The check in times for the return journeys are always between midnight and 2am gmt. It's ok if you do one or 2 of them but then you get to do back to backs where you go for a whole week without sleeping properly etc. etc. I know jet lag, tiredness, fatigue etc. etc. comes with the job but sometimes I get my roster and I dread the next month.

The longer trips are generally 5 days and you'd have a shuttle, that stretches over 2 days so even on a 5 day trip you only have one day where you can actually do something other than work. There are also 4 day trips with shuttles so you literally work, sleep, work, sleep, work and then drive home. Which in my eyes defeat the whole point of flying. If I wanted to do that I could get 9-5 and actually get proper rest in between work days.

I appreciate the fact that the company has to do what is best for it but at the same time I have to do whats best for me.

There are a pros and cons to every airline and I guess you just have to decide which airline offers you what you want. One mans trash is another mans treasure.

I hope I don't come accross as being disillussioned or bitter I'm really not. I have had some good times and I'm sure there are alot of BMED crew who might not agree with my views. However everything I have written in this post is factually based and no one can disagree with that.