PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Galactic
Thread: Virgin Galactic
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2006, 17:45
ToneTheWone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scroggs I don’t think it is too difficult to work out the meaning of ‘a sad day for the planet if this project ever gets off the ground’. Just consider the amount of energy required and the pollution created just to give a very few select few people the opportunity of a joyride. I just think with today's concerns about global warming etc. it is in my opinion that such a project is irresponsible. Don’t get me wrong, as a young lad I was thrilled by the moon landing. A very costly exorcise in terms of money and resources but there were many beneficial spin-offs from it. The world was a very different place then to what it is now and I have to ask myself what are the benefits of today's space shuttle flights? Back in the 60’s the whole world was transfixed by the Apollo flights and today nobody takes any notice of the space shuttle unless it blows up.

And before anybody jumps down my throat about being a tree hugger, I’ve either had or got most of the boy’s toys. It’s just that I’m aware of the environmental harm I inflict and yes I am in some senses an hipoctite.

Northern Boy. Yes the earth is running out of resources very quickly but space travel has got a long way to go before it’s our saviour. With the nearest star 5 light years away, a suitable planet to earth with a suitable sun close by is anybody's guess. As under present thinking it’s not possible to travel at the speed of light it would take god knows how long to get who knows where? I don’t foresee it being a commercial venture - would you invest in something that would not pay a dividend until way after your death?