PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEMP protection - ACJ and BBJ Considerations
Old 28th May 2006, 12:59
mach 4.0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEMP protection - ACJ and BBJ Considerations

I understand that the A320 series has no NEMP (nuclear electromagnetic pulse) or DEW (direct energy weapon) protection as part of its design criteria.

With the world becoming more dangerous, the possability must surely exist that one day an aircraft could be affected by NEMP or DEW.

With traditional aircraft such as B737, a total electrical and hydraulic failure will not render aircraft uncontrollable. (manual reversion)

With fly-by-wire, and say all circuits fried by NEMP or DEW, what will happen? I understand the RAT may deploy from batt bus, but if this system has no NEMP/DEW in the design criteria...will it deploy and will aircraft be controllable? Are their any circuit boards in the RAT deployment system?

A high altitude nuclear explosion can send a NEMP 2500 km!

I have let this thread get a little out of hand and am now in the process of bringing it back into line. Some of the posts I will delete, others I will amend without comment.

Please, ladies and gentlemen, can we adopt a reasonable degree of decorum in this forum .. the original question is as valid as any other and deserving of reasoned comment.

EMI considerations are not the stuff of imagination but are addressed at the design and certification stage. Perhaps the nuclear catastrophe scenario is a little out of left field .. but is it not an interesting question to contemplate ?

.. even contemplating a 73 with no hydraulics at all and no electrics is the stuff of nightmares ... rather anyone else than me, I'm afraid

Last edited by mach 4.0; 28th May 2006 at 22:14.