PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The marks of a Professional
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2006, 02:03
WannaBeBiggles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some wise words there scroggs!

Getting more technical, but right in line with what you where saying about not doing things the easy way, I find that in many cases, people will do the bare minimus and it is quite hard to tell (with my very limited experience) what attributes show true professionalism... one knows or at the very least assumes that the boys and girls flying heavy metal know what they are doing.

I am counted as a professional in my current line of work as a Senior Software Analyst and know exactly what attributes to look for in my peers, when on a review and selection panel, where we look at how a person handles themselves, general manners and techincal knowledge and competance.
It becomes quite easy to pick out individuals that are going for a position that is "above their head", in how they handle questions, thought processes and technical knowledge... Many have "that piece of paper" (degree, diploma etc), much like a commercial pilot has his/her licence, but this is no real indicator of how they handle themselves and their knoweldge beyond an intermediary point.

Maybe I have answered my own question...

A professional pilot is a person that conducts themselves professionaly in ever aspect of their job, and does exactly what they are ment to do and does not take a "near enough is good enough" approach to all aspects of their flying, including when the aircraft is on the ground, before and after flight.

There is a wealth of knowledge on these forums, and would still love hearing everyones opinions and maybe add their own perls of wisedom to this discussion.

Al