PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of V/S at high levels in A320
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2006, 01:50
TomConard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbus V/S Issue

Gentlemen,

Please accept my humble opinion...and it is only that...my opinion.

First, your airline's SOP takes precedence....assuming your airline's SOP addresses this issue. If the SOP does not specifically, explicitly prescribe the procedure, you might consider discussing this with someone in the Flight Standards and Training Department of your carrier (or similar office). This will give you guidance with regard as to how your company wants things done. Also, you might kindly suggest that the issue be addressed in the SOP through future document revisions.

My old airline's SOP very clearly described the procedure to be used; it was 'their' way of doing things. And, this is what we followed.

My current airline mandates what the Airbus SOP and Flight Crew Training Manual prescribe.

The Airbus SOP states with respect to climb: "The normal vertical mode is CLB or OP CLB with managed speed active." (FCOM 3.03.14 P1)

The Flight Crew Training Manual describes the philosophy in great detail...too much to quote here. (FCTM 02.060 Page 1) But, having a copy of the FCTM has been very helpful to me. If you don't have a copy, try to obtain one through your airline.

I will say, however, that the problem of vertical speed rates and RVSM (TCAS RAs) are a consideration. Again, at my old airline, this procedure was specific and very explicit. With my present employer, it's left to 'technique'.

Thus, during the last 1000 feet of climb or descent, I make it a habit to limit the rate to less than 1500 FPM, but (if possible) at least 500 FPM. (If not possible to do at least 500 FPM, it would be wise to notify ATC.) Limiting your vertical speed during the last 1000 feet of climb/descent precludes the need to change underpants after encountering a high-altitude RA.

I hope what I've written provides some help and guidance for you with regard to this topic. Again, it's only my opinion.

Tom